Saturday, 30 April 2011

Re-handling an Axe.

I finally got around to having a go at one of these. A friend of mine has recently moved into an old property that's not been improved for years. In the back yard is an old coal hole where the deliveries could be added via a little door that faces the path at the rear. I popped my head through and what did I see but a 1.5lb Kent pattern axe sat there waiting for me! We agreed a pint was the payment next time we meet, as he already has a shiny hatchet.

I used Robin Wood's excellent tutorial. http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.com/2010/12/how-to-make-new-axe-handle.html
Before


Head area wasn't too bad, but was a little decayed around the wedge



Off with his head, and a nice piece of Ash flattened off.


Chop chop!


All done, just used a Gransfors SFA, and my Swedish fast knife as the tools, leaving a tooled finish with a bit of a scrape with the edge to finish. Oak wedge tapped in with a baton.





And a bit of a sharpen. I'll see how it works then take it back some more maybe.


Give it a go, its very satisfying.