Saturday, 23 June 2012

Forest schools demonstrations

I was invited to attend an event introducing people into taking up forest school sessions at schools and sites through Derbyshire. I was helping the team from the DCC Countryside Service to produce a campfire cookery demonstration and firelighting session.

The folks did a fantastic job in the kitchen producing from scratch, Various breads, Pizza, Mexican bean soup, Feta and roasted squash, and Rice pudding (naughty but very nice)

Plenty of hot water was produced and shelters tweaked as we went along. I was mainly on fire duty and checking the Dutch ovens from time to time. As the crowd gathered and started to eat I showed them ways of teaching kids how to light fires safely and followed it up with some friction firelighting.









It was a great day and I met plenty of like minded people willing to share ideas. Sunshine all day too, a rare thing this June!