Thursday, 25 October 2012

Autumn Navigation Practice in the woods

I recently went off for a wander to take in some of the colours of the season, get some fresh air and practice my Navigation work. I had some fun in this wonderful local woodland seeking out features on the map, using catching features, and practising pace counts and timings on various terrain. 

The problem was I was rather distracted by the trees. Bit of a busman's day out this one 

A few pictures for you on a misty day.


 Things slowly get better the further you venture into this varied woodland.

The Beech in fine form.



Soup, bread and a brew over the pocket stove, using a homemade shoe polish tin meths burner. When the meths runs out, just switch over to sticks. Great for simple boiling/heating.


Hazel, a very nice thing

Oaks form the backbone of the woodland structure, and there are some lovely specimens, with all the birch, holly and hazel to complement.

Looking out from inside the cliff. I ended up on top of this cliff and found a hole in the ground. After scaling down the edge I found the entrance at the base.

and the outside

A feature on the map worth heading for.

Plenty of mushrooms about in the damp warm weather we have had recently.

 A grand time out, and a nice change from driving about the county. I've also been gathering some native leaves for a display as a learning tool for my daughter, so this walk came in handy, and I didn't get lost so something is going right for me at the mo. :)

Gathered some Rosehips on the way too, and made up some syrup for my porridge back at home.
I've found a recipe to make up some jelly from the rest of the hips along with the windfalls from the apple in the garden.

The sloe gin is looking good and gets a turn over now and then. Cant wait till Christmas for a taste, its been a couple of years since I was regularly making it. The previous batches I've matured over a year have been particularly nice.

I'll try and cram in as many walks as possible over the next few weeks, there's a local Fungal foray my daughter and I will be going along to on Sun, so all in all Autumn is being well and truly enjoyed.