Sunday, 24 February 2013

Criky! 100th post - A wood carving and firelighting course.

Well, its funny how time flies, I hope people actually read and enjoy my posts, if you do, feel free to comment and if there's any requests for information on skills ask away and I'll see what I can do.

Last week I taught a group of lady's that are forest school practitioners, how to safely use a knife and to carve butter spreaders. They got on really well and made some nice functional utensils out of Norway maple, great to see, as they had not carved before.






After lunch we headed up into the woods to learn all about Fire.
Tinders, woods, and methods were discussed, demoed, and practised including fire by friction. A few members of the group braved the bow drill and we had three further successful fires. Quite welcome on a chilly February day.