Thursday, 6 August 2015

Decorated eating spoon designs post Spoonfest 2015

Last weekend I attended Spoonfest in the village of Edale part of the wonderful county of Derbyshire, Uk. Its such a great thing living close to an amazing international event. Many of the worlds top spoon (and other woodcraft) carvers instruct there and its made a wonderful place with all the folks that attend to see, and carve spoonage. Camping out for the whole event, you really get to soak up ideas and inspiration.

I've not been happy with my eating spoons. There ok, work perfectly well, and are durable, but I wanted to make them a little more distinctive, and to revisit some of the chip carved and kolrosed designs from my previous spoons. I made nine spoons over the first three days back, tweaking the design and leaving them around the house grabbing a look from different angles as I went about my chores. After finally picking out my favourite, I matched up the others as best as possible and went for it with the frosts 106 and carved in some patterns long into the night.

I'm into Sami symbols again and elements - wind, fire, earth, water and trying out a few ideas. I cracked out the milk paint and ochre pigments again to add a little colour. I was a little unsure if I should follow this imaginary, but it feels right, I'm drawn to it constantly. Plus the Mrs likes it which helps!

What do you think? Be honest now or I wont be able to make for the customer.




Cheers,
Paul.